Saturday, January 2, 2016

Eli's Birth Story

As per usual, the last week I was pregnant, I was DONE. Monday was Memorial Day, and that day I also finally found the tub of newborn boy clothes. Nothing like waiting til the last minute. By the time I left school for my appointment on Wednesday, I felt so awful and was so exhausted that I told my teaching partner I wasn't sure how much longer I could make it. I had been having contractions off and on, had lost my plug, not to mention the low blood pressure thing just before. The midwife I saw that day was Rachel, and she was surprised at how much progress I had made. She told me it looked like a couple more days. I decided to stay home the next day and rest, so that maybe I could make it until at least the weekend. By Thursday evening I actually felt really good, and planned on going in to work on Friday.

Around 2:30, I woke up due to the driving rain outside. It was an intense storm, as normally I wouldn't hear the rain over the big box fan we sleep with. But as I lay there trying to go back to sleep, I eventually realized I was having contractions. I timed a few of them, and then decided to get up and go sit in the den to see if the position change would stop them. But, they continued. And at this point, the news was covering the flooding all over the metroplex caused by the rain. The longer I sat there, I kept telling myself "One more, and I'll go wake up Christiaan." Jen and Jill noticed I was on social media in the wee hours of the morning, and both began texting me asking if I was in labor. With their encouragement, I decided I probably was. I called Mom and she agreed and said to call the midwife. I also texted Ruth Ann, who was on call to come be with the kids. Although I was a nervous wreck because of the flooding, trying to figure out how to get her to our house, and us and mom to Dallas. After talking to the midwife, who happened to be Rachel on call, she told me to head on in. Only then did I wake up Christiaan. He was like umm why haven't you woken me up before??

When we got to the birthing center, I was at a 5 already. What is up with that number and me? Rachel did some things that would help it move along, and we got settled in the birthing room. By the time Mom got there and the sun came up, the rain had stopped, so Rachel had us walk the park adjacent to the house. Then she broke my water, and of course things got pretty intense after that. I somehow managed to walk a little bit again, then tried some different positions. Rachel had me start pushing before I was completely dilated because his head was in an odd position and wasn't going to drop all the way on its own. Shocking, I know.  This was actually the most painful part of any of my labors, because not only was a having hard contractions every two minutes, I was pushing and Rachel was "helping" things out from her end.

Eventually I got very worn out and said I needed a nap. I rolled over on my side on the comfy four-poster bed and fell asleep, sort of. After awhile, she had me get up and use one of the poles to hang on to and let gravity help while I was pushing. This only took a couple of pushes before I could feel his head come down. Rachel told me to get back on the bed to finish delivering. I remember telling her "JUST FREAKING PULL HIM OUT RIGHT NOW!!" but they all helped me back up. I seriously couldn't move on my own. I can't imagine why! Only a few more pushes, and he was out. Christiaan got to catch him and put him on my chest. He was just perfect!

Labor was right at 12 hours, about half of that pretty intense, and a whole lot of pushing. Rachel says my cervix is at an odd angle, which explains why all 3 of my babies came out at weird angles. This delivery solidified that it will be my last pregnancy. It was by far the most painful delivery. But it was very nice to be back at our house by 6:00 that night. In fact, I tried to go to Carter's pre-k graduation that night, but I could barely walk. So everyone else went without me, and Christiaan got there at the beginning and Facetimed me. And of course, right after he left the baby pooped, and I couldn't even get out of the chair to change him. I am also so glad that both of our moms and my aunt got to be there for the whole labor and delivery.




Getting intense

Debra finally made it!









Carter was so proud of his new brother





His ankle was bruised and his foot was turned in for a day or so because it had been wedged under my rib. And I mean WEDGED.



7 lbs 4 oz, 19.5 lbs. At 37.5 weeks!


Having a midwife was amazing!



Delaney wasn't too sure about him at first. She just stared at him while sitting next to me, and didn't say anything. Finally she said "he needs her hat on!"

Then when she finally agreed to hold him, Carter screamed to the room "Hey guys!! Look she's holding it!"


No comments:

Post a Comment