Friday, August 26, 2011

Back to school, back to school, to prove to Dad I'm not a fool

Taa Daa!!! Here is what my classroom looks like!!
Just kidding! That was at the end of the first day I spent working on it! Here is what it really looks like.

So this is a fourth of my room. We are lucky enough to have to share our rooms with Sunday School classes, so we have to leave them one blank wall. You don't want to know my opinion on this, but I assure, it is not very Christ-like.


This was just before Meet the Teacher night. Those things on the chairs have since been thrown into a fire pit and burned(well, not really, but we did away with them)and replaced with boxes, as they were a failed attempt to hold folders and a pencil box.




Megan helped me with a lot of the decoration, and she helped me with this thrown together bulletin board, the idea which I got from someone I went to school with. I love it.







Bri helped me recreate the tree that my mom and Caleb made in my room last year, and I think we did a pretty good job considering there was not a pole in the corner to provide the3D-ness of the trunk, and we could barely reach the ceiling tiles.



I have 2 sinks AND a bathroom! My room used to be 2 small rooms and they just tore out the wall between the two.


There is another set of cubbies just inside this doorway, along with another bulletin board which I free hand painted myself, however I accidentally hit the delete button and cannot get the picture to drag and drop from the top of the post. So imagine it.



Welcome to second grade!



All gusssied up for the parents





Last Saturday night Carter and I met Micah and Aly and her family out at the Harbor to see her sister's choir sing. Carter was rather uninterested in the performance and didn't last too long, so on our way out we stopped to watch the kids play in the fountains. He was a little scared of it since it was so strong, but liked it when Uncle Micah held him up to reach this spout!


Then we got up bright and early and drove to Waco. We made it just in time to attend service at Christiaan's home church there, Cornerstone. After nice visits with his friends there, we met up with his family at Papa Rollo's for Brandon and Candice's baby shower. Her mom gave them a nice shower and they were given a ton of stuff! It barely fit in their car!




Jazzy kicked booty at this game! Silly girl!



TONS of gifts!




Then after our day visit we came back to get ready for the first day of school.



Ugh.






Listen, I love my school, I really truly do, but I was in no way ready for this year to start. The summer was not long enough. There was some drama related to the renovation/construction in our school, and naturally it took longer than expected. I have never felt so flustered on the first day of school, and after more than 2 days of trying to figure out what was missing, I realized that its mostly due to the fact that my kids are sitting at tables instead of desks, therefore creating a lot of personal space issues. I'm still working to get a handle on everything, and these kids are definitely going to give me a run for my money this year.





For instance, Chelsea told me that she overheard a second grader telling his friend "Ms. Webb told me I was stupid today!" Um, really kid?? Seeing as how I don't allow that word to be said in my classroom, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be throwing that around towards a small child! So we had a group discusssion today about how badly my feelings were hurt and how I could get in trouble if you go around telling your parents stuff like that.





Oh and I survived my first major incident of a child getting hurt. One of my sweet kiddos fell on the playground somehow, right in front of me and 2 other teachers, yet none of us managed to see what happened, and none of the 6 kids right there nor the injured child can give an account of what happened. Nonetheless, he fell, there was a lot of blood, and large gash, and he went home to get stitches. Teacher of the year, right here.





They are not really "bad" kids, just ridiculously talkative and generally noisy and cannot sit still to save their lives. But I am determined that they will mature and realize their boundaries! Still, I'm pretty sure that you should not want to cry on the first week of school.....



Raygen started kindergarten at our school. I'm pretty sure they planned to match....they are cool like that! :) Shane has been Kasi's sub while she is on maternity leave, and he has earned a whole new perspective on teachers! He has been great though. Still, I miss my teacher partner and I'm ready for her to get back so we can get our groove back!



How blessed are we to work together?? Except that we are on opposite ends of the building(not me and Kasi of course!)and barely get to see each other. I love getting to see so many of my favorite people every day. I am working on Brooke, trying to convince her that they need to move closer so that she can rejoin the teaching world and work here too! Then, I could truly be content. :)


Dad came home today, so I'm looking forward to a nice weekend with them, and we will start fresh Monday. Then we have a 3 day weekend in Waco. Yahoo! Oh, and Christiaan starts his new shift this coming week with normal work hours of 11a-7p, so our lives can be somewhat normal for awhile!

(This post wasn't really about Carter, but the first week of school is always consuming. You'll get more of him later. He's really been a goofball lately.)

No comments:

Post a Comment