Monday, October 3, 2011

Our State Fair is a GREAT State Fair!!

Well.

That will be the LAST time that I make reference to any part of my life being boring. Since my last post, boring has been furthest description of our lives. Dad is back in the hospital getting chemo and we lost Christiaan's Nanny last week. School continues to be ridiculous. So when I was off for a 4 day weekend, you can bet we were glad for the break. Today was our Fair Day, and we met a group of our closest friends for a day of fun and fried foods.

We started off at the petting zoo. Carter was in hog heaven. Or goat heaven. He is SO his mother's son, as I was known to get in trouble from time to time at my grandparents' farm for bringing the baby goats into the house to play with. All these exotic animals, and Carter wants to see the goats. That's my boy!
Shane and Raygen


Kasi and Harper


Feeding the zebras, before one of them bit Raygen's hand. She may or may not be traumatized for life, poor kid.


Feeding more goats




We caught the dog show, which the boys thought was pretty cool

And then......FLETCHER'S!! Carter is a fan of corn dogs, and he scarfed most of mine down! Oh sweet Fletcher's how I've missed your greasy, fried deliciousness!






Next up, the ferris wheel. While in line we ran into our friend Katie from school with her family, and they happened to get placed on the cart next to us!

A chemical plant in Waxahachie exploded just before, and you could see the smoke from the top of the ferris wheel. In case you aren't familiar with the metroplex, the two cities are not so very close to each other.

Now, I always ride the ferris wheel. And I always fight a panic attack the whole time due to a fear of heights. Its sick and twisted that I would still go, but whatever.


(Here's where I set up the story)


I realized on the way to the fair this morning that it was 2 years ago today that Christiaan and I had our first actual date, at the fair, and rode the ferris wheel. I mentioned it to him and he was like oh yeah you are right. Hmm.


(Clueless...)

Shane and Kasi rode with us. You know, the ones who set us up in the first place. Kasi, who has long adamantly stated she does not see the coolness of the fair. Hmm.

Meanwhile, our friends down below are taking pictures of our cart....

and waiting...

not sure what they were expecting to see....me jump out??

So the wheel goes around once then starts back up again. About at the top, my panic starts to set in(see death grip on Christiaan's leg). I make a comment that "and here's where I freak out" to which Christiaan replies "Well I guess you are going to have to freak out a little bit longer." My immediate thought is dadgum him, if he makes the cart sway on purpose there will be hell to pay....

But instead he says something about how he did actually realize that it was our "anniversary," and so he thought it was perfect timing, and got down on one knee in the tiny cart and I cannot remember a thing else that he said!

He for real has a ring!! (I love that you can see the top of the Cotton Bowl in the background!)



And then he pulled out this t-shirt that he made for Carter to wear! Dang he really thought this through!!

Love this picture!!

Jill got a great shot of our special spot!

Family shot with Big Tex


Then to the car show. Raygen and the boys chose this car to play in.

Wow. Carter REALLY liked this car!

Christiaan is like the baby whisperer. He got Harper to laugh at him!



Then Christiaan got tired of walking and made Brad pull him in the wagon. Yeah, those wheels? Not meant for adults. Not sure they will ever be the same.

FINALLY, after an afternoon of screaming fits of rage, Carter passed out cold in the wagon and slept for about an hour.

We swung through the livestock building where Carter got to see moo cows and about a bazillion more goats.

And shortly after, we wrapped up our awesomely fun day and headed home. We are all worn out. I can't believe we are engaged!! What a day. Christiaan will have to really work hard to top this next year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment