Thursday, September 27, 2012

Its's a Girl!

My poor baby, she has gotten no attention whatsoever on this blog so far. Second child syndrome, or whatever. I have been keeping the written journal from the beginning just like I did with Carter, but that one is not intended for the viewing public. And I still haven't come up with a clever title to rename this blog now that we are married and expanding our little family.

So about our girl.  We found out very early about her. It was total and complete torture, but we waited until Mother's Day to tell even our moms, which was about 3 whole weeks. It was especially hard because about a week after we found out, I began getting horrible "morning" sickness. I say "morning," because with me its more like 24 hours sickness. I mean, who is woken up in the night to throw up?? I think I knew a little better this time how to curb some of it, and at my first appointment I made sure to ask for Zofran. But ultimately, sucking on sour candy 24/7 was about the only thing that provided momentary relief!

Our families were shocked and thrilled. We waited a couple more weeks after that to tell our friends, after we had the first sonogram. I'm gonna be honest though...I cheated and told my friend Deanna! Like the week we found out we were pregnant...oops! I couldn't stand it, plus it gave me someone at school that I could go cry to when I felt like death warmed over! Our friends were all totally shocked too. We were just the next in a line of several people announcing pregnancies. Its totally the year of babies around here!

I hate putting it this way, but really the next couple of months through the summer were routine. The nausea began to fade after the first couple weeks of summer, and basically I was just tired all the time. But then again, I also have a very active 2 year old to chase after this time! It wasn't until the day before the "big" sonogram that anything out of the ordinary happened, I had Braxton Hicks all day, which I thought was kinda early, but apparently I was just really worn out. I think my nerves also didn't help! For some reason I was crazy anxious about finding out the sex of the baby! Basically everyone thought it was a girl, I was on the fence either way, and Christiaan thought it was a boy. We had yet to agree on a boy name, but were set in stone on the girl name. The heart rate had consistently been at 160, which was why most people thought it was a girl. I was seriously so anxious and nervous that I was on the verge of tears for 2 straight days! It didn't help matters that the appointment was in the afternoon, and we arrived to find a full waiting room, which meant a huge test in my patience! And we had Carter with us, which meant for some creative entertaining.

FINALLY it was our turn. First the sono tech came in, and I swear she took her sweet time taking measurements before getting to the goods. By the time she made her way there, our little turkey was fast asleep and the legs were crossed!! The tech work and poked and wiggled the wand around to try to get the baby to move, but it wasn't budging. I started to hyperventilate because I thought good lord I can't wait until the next sonogram at like 34-36 weeks!! It didn't occur to me that the doctor would also take a look himself....duh. Finally....she moved. And it was a she! I was so shocked and finally released all my tears that I had been holding in for 2 days! I think that deep down I was really hoping for a girl, because this might be our last baby, and because I so desperately want a daughter with Christiaan curly locks! 

By the time we left my phone had about a bajillion missed calls and texts since we had been there for 2 hours. People thought something was wrong! Which is the whole point of that particular scan anyways, not to find out the gender. She was given a clean bill of health though! And of course, we couldn't resist picking her out some super cute clothes that night.

Since then school has started, and we are collecting more and more things for baby girl. We finished our registry, and had one more sonogram. This time instead of sleeping through it, she was on crack and doing gymnastics. Like to the point where every time they pushed on my stomach with the sono wand, you could literally see her punch it or kick it!

Up until this past weekend this pregnancy has been rather normal and uneventful. We are all the way to 25 weeks! I am feeling rather large and very uncomfortable MUCH earlier than I did with Carter, but my mom blames this on genetics and being the second pregnancy. 

Then this weekend I got a stomach bug. I have no desire to share with you any details of this bug, but I assure you it was not pretty. I guess I was not adequately hydrating myself, so Monday was a very rough day with a lot of Braxton Hicks.  I also had what I will call leaking that morning, and my doctor's nurse advised me to get checked out if it happened any more. Well about 9pm that night I had another episode, only much more, and I was momentarily paralyzed with fear because it was very much like what happened when my water broke with Carter. I immediately called the doctor and he said to go straight to the hospital. Christiaan and I were terrified and prepared for the worst. Mom came with us, and we were checked into the hospital. After about 3-4 hours it was determined that my water had not in fact broken, and the monitor was not registering contractions which meant that I was only having some intense Braxton Hicks, and I was released! The nurses commented on how active she was, kicking straight on the monitor on my belly. They said for a "25 weeker" she was active and had a good heartbeat that would actually register. And she is my calm one....hmmm. Apparently I will be watched a bit closer for pre-term labor from here on out, although I am not sure what exactly that entails. A positive to this whole event is that the nurse that I had was awesome, and seems to jive with all my ideals for a drug-free hospital delivery, and she told me that we can call ahead when I do go into labor and request her!

Most of these pictures I have posted previously, but here they are again....


4 preggos at a party! I was about 10 weeks here.








Around 13 weeks maybe??

At the "big" sonogram...She was waving to us, but of course Christiaan says she is doing Sic'em bears



Sister's first clothes!



First Baylor gear



At 21 weeks. She has Carter's nose and Christiaan's lips!



Singing!



23 weeks and growing



And the only picture of our hospital adventure....we checked in through the ER since it was so late when we got there, and while we were waiting for someone from L & D to come get us they brought over this so called wheelchair.  I looked at Christiaan and asked him if he was checking me in for a mental evaluation because this totally looks like it belongs in a mental hospital!


2 comments:

  1. So how are things going with the baby? Everything good so far since last week, well since last Thursday? Praying nothing comes of it and you go to full term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes everything seems to be ok! I am definitely having BH quite often, but I notice it happens more when I don't get enough rest. I braved the fair today and although I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow, I think I did good! I'll discuss it more with my dr at my next appt, but hopefully it won't be an issue again!

      Delete