Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Diva

Delaney has earned herself a nickname before she has even taken her first breath. I had such high hopes that she would be calm natured like her Daddy, since Carter obviously took after me and I diagnosed him in the womb with ADD, but perhaps no such luck. She could prove me wrong and be of the quiet diva sort, but girlfriend is going to be a diva nonetheless.

So after the whole 4 hour stint in the hospital last month, I've been increasingly more uncomfortable and began having Braxton Hicks pretty much daily. 2 weeks ago I did the glucose screening test, and after a near physical fight with the moron at the lab (why in the hell are people so ignorant enough to mistreat a hormonal woman??), I supposedly failed the test. I'm not entirely convinced that she didn't do something shady with the blood work. I may not be a medical professional, but I find it difficult to believe that a person who suffers from low blood sugar problems can end up with gestational diabetes, or come even remotely close to it.

So today I had to take a half day from work to do the 3 hour test. Meaning, nothing to eat or drink since dinner last night, drink straight up the sugariest (i think I just made up a word) 3 oz of liquid ever first thing this morning, then sit around the doctor's office to have my blood drawn 4 times in 3 hours. While there I did have my monthly appointment where we addressed all the different things that have been going on, namely the previous episode and the more recent timing of Braxton Hicks, and my doctor decided to be on the safe side and have me see the perinatologist again to make sure my cervix wasn't getting shorter.

I had to run over to the hospital to get the Rhogam shot (5th needle of the day, thankyouverymuch) from the pharmacy there so I stopped by his office to schedule an appointment. They had a cancellation at 1:30, so my half day turned into a whole day.

Fortunately though, there doesn't seem to be any activity with my cervix, and Delaney is looking good, measuring right on time and at 2 lbs 15 oz! The doctor wants to check again in 2 weeks to see if there has been any change, but hopefully all will still be well and I'm going to do my best to rest and take it easy from here on out.

So apparently our girl either just needed some more attention, or is going to be a walking medical weirdo like her momma. I'm hoping she hasn't inherited my odd medical happenings. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm a hypochondriac because the weirdest things happen to me. If there's a 1% chance of something, I am the 1%. I'll take a prissy diva any day of the week to balance out the epitome of boy that her brother is. :)

I guess the sweet sono tech felt sorry for me and turned on the 3D while checking out Miss Priss! It totally made my day! And makes me so much more excited to see her in person, if that was possible. Carter has even been talking about seeing baby Laney face!







Passed smooth out with her arm draped dramatically across her head. And wouldn't budge.

The general consensus is she has Christiaan's big lips and Carter's nose and big cheeks. And Carter said she looks like GramPam. Haha.

So, as much as I'm ready to kiss those squishy cheeks, we need her to stay there until at least Christmas break. Then all bets are off!

3 comments:

  1. Love the sono pics! And she's 1 oz heavier than what Emma was when she was born. She definitely has Carter's nose, which btw who did he get that from??? He always reminds me of your brother when I see his pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't figure that out! He definitely looks like Caleb, but I'm not sure what the nose is about! She has his cheeks too, and Christiaan's lips. We can't wait to see her in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'm sure you can't...but let's make sure we encourage her to wait until the time is right! ;-)

    ReplyDelete