Saturday, March 16, 2013

Movin' on up




Finally. I feel like I can actually stretch out a little!

This week we took advantage of spring break and moved. We still have a little left to do, and are nowhere near settled and unpacked, but we have spent the last 2 nights in the house. And now that we are here, I cannot figure out how on earth we were crammed into a one bedroom apartment!

When we moved in there almost exactly a year ago, it was supposed to only be for a few months until we got a house, but then you know, life happened, and a few months stretched a bit. When I started having complications with my pregnancy we decided to just make do with the roof over our heads that we had been blessed with, instead of doing anymore damage to that irritable uterus. So then Delaney comes along, and the walls started closing right fast. About 3 weeks ago some dear friends gave us the opportunity for this house, and we jumped on it.

I am so excited for both kids to have their own room! Basically in Carter's three years of life, he has never slept in a room without me, except for the few times he's spent the night with people. He's excited to have his own room, but bedtime has been challenging. It's very weird not hearing him talking in his sleep! Eventually we will move the baby in her room too.

Some other things that I'm excited for are
-not having kids toys taking over the main living area
-a backyard to throw our dogs in
-two bathrooms. Little victories. :)
-a garage
-parking in said garage
-not having to fight a staircase
-decorating a nursery
-a fireplace
-Internet and cable. Hello 21st century!
-not feeling like I am on a cruise ship during wind storms
-and most of all, not feeling scared and isolated should I be alone and need help, especially when C is at work

I can't even tell you how much more safe I feel, especially since our friends live across the street, and oddly enough, a friend of mine from high school lives a block away too. I spent many paranoid hours
hatching escape plans should the barn catch fire or someone break in. We will however, miss the view of the lake from our porch and the freedom that comes with living in the country. If the place was a little bigger we would have stayed longer! But if anything, I have learned that I have no real desire to live where snakes and other feral creatures roam free.

Every time I got down about being in such cramped quarters, I tried to make myself be grateful for what we did have. After all, it was technically our first home as a family, it's where we brought Delaney home to, and it's more than what many people even have. But we are so very grateful that God has given us a house to let our kids have room to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment