Sunday, March 6, 2011

This Week

Wow, what a week. TAKS testing at school on Tuesday, Dad's bad news on Wednesday, all day at the hospital Thursday and Friday, and playing catch-up yesterday and today on things that didn't get done this week.

Dad's surgery went well, and they determined the fluid was infection, and now we are waiting on final results as to what kind of infection it is. Now he just has to begin recovering from the surgery, even though they were not able to do anything to stablize his broken hip right now. We were actually confused as to what we were praying for, infection or tumor, because the doctors said that both have their up and down points. We chose to pray for infection, as that seems less scary than a tumor caused by leukemia.

So I took off Thursday, since we were not sure if the surgery was going to be scheduled last minute for sometime that day, and I spent the day at the hospital with Dad so that Mom could go on to work. I also took off Friday, since the surgery was scheduled for 11, and of course ended up being an all day affair. Carter came with me Friday since Karen was going to be up there too, and he did well to entertain the party in the waiting room! We blocked off a corner of the room so that he couldn't escape, and he spent the better part of 3 hours playing and being silly.

Saturday the 3 of us ventured out to Rockwall to run some errands. I had to get the supplies for a baby shower gift that I wanted to attempt to make. I swear, my pulse rate shot up just walking through the door of Hobby Lobby. I long to be crafty like so many of my friends are, and all the other women in my family are. But alas, that gene did not crossover to me. My mom says its in me somewhere, that I just have to set my mind on it, but I get too frustrated when a project has too many steps or I don't see immediate positive results. This particular one had only a few steps, but included words like vellum scrapbook paper, which I had to Google, and about 20 minutes worth of debate on ribbon and sticker color. I had to use a product called Mod Podge, which I knew was similar to shellac(yes I had to look up how to spell that word!)in that its a one-chance kinda thing, and if I screwed it up, I would have wasted a glass block and a $3 sheet of flipping paper. But, shock and awe, it actually turned out somewhat similar to the online picture I was using as a guide! And Jacqueline loved it, which is what really matters. I was feeling so crafty that I decided to make a ceramic print thingy of Carter's hand....did not go well. First of all, when it says recommended for newborn-6 months?? Not because the circle display tin is too small, probably because your child cannot possibly sit still for 60 seconds while you smash his hand in the mix and may or may not decide to play in it as though it were Play-doh.

We also visited Petco and Petsmart, where we in the market for a new aquarium tank kit for my classroom and some guppies for an upcoming science unit on animals. We scored a great deal on the kit at Walmart, of all places, for $30, and then Christiaan chose some plants and decor to spice it up. While at Petco, we decided that our next addition to our pet family will most likely be a cute young tortoise, but that will require a small stash of money to be saved up as Mr. Tortoise himself costs $100, and he will need a whole host of gear. Those little dudes have an average life span of 75 years! I figure that it can be Carter's pet, and can grow with him and when Christiaan and I are long gone of this world, Carter will still be around to take care of him!


Just Carter being silly and the camera was nearby!
My monkey!
Behold, I give you my great work of art!! A personalized night light for baby Aaralyn!
And what it looks like when used as a night light. What do you think??

Observing the new fishies

Carter made himself at home in my classroom as Christiaan was assembling the new tank and I was finishing my lesson plans.

Isn't it pretty?? My kids are going to be so excited tomorrow! We bought 3 females and one male, and we think that at least 2 of the 3 are pregnant already. I am hoping that this lesson turns out well and doesn't lead to too many birds and the bees questions...its on the science TEKS for 2nd grade though!

One week from tomorrow is Carter's birthday. Say what??? Prepare yourself for some weepy posts from me, as I tear up just thinking about him being one already. I am shocked at how much of a big boy he is all of the sudden. For instance, last weekend he figured out how to drink out of a straw. Well now, instead of drinking out of sippy cups, he wants the one with the straw in it! He has started throwing the biggest fits and throwing the cup down in frustration because he doesn't want to hold it up like a bottle. Also, because he is wearing 12 month clothing now, I am finding it a little difficult to find the sleeper type jammies in that size. So now he wears mostly big boy jammies, and it makes me want to cry seeing him running around in those!

No comments:

Post a Comment