Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Today Sucks(pardon my French)

At what point does God decide that one family has dealt with enough and give them a break?

When I figure that out, I will let you know.

So, not good test results. First, the bone marrow biopsy showed that blast cells were still present, so Dr. B wants to go ahead with the extra round of chemo to get them all. We were so hoping to escape that. But more concerning than that, and swiftly moved to priority Numero Uno, was the hip.

Riddle me this, Batman, tell me how a healthy(well, besides the pesky leukemia) man breaks his hip, without having had some sort of injury? Because not even the doctors can explain that one. Yes folks, a broken hip. My father, otherwise known as the toughest man in the world, has apparently been walking around(with the assistance of a walker) with a broken hip for the last 2ish months. This injury will require him to have surgery ASAP to correct the problem, and also to figure out what the pocket of fluid at the fracture site is. Our prayer is that it is only infection as the doctor believes, and not a pocket of leukemia cells.

I think we were somewhat prepared for the possibility of the extra round of chemo before transplant, but the hip thing? Total shock. Honestly though, I am somewhat relieved to finally get an answer as to why it wasn't healing very fast. And Dad is so tough that I think he will have a speedy recovery and finally be past the whole hip issue. Just another small step backwards in the process.

What is strangely coincindental about the hip injury, is that just last November Nannie, Dad's mom, fell and fractured her hip, while with my parents even. Although thankfully she did not require surgery and is now walking without a walker. But also, Grandma, Mom's mom, has been suffering for several months with hip/leg pain that has significantly increased in the past few weeks, finally leaving her with a diagnosis of severe rheumatoid arthritis. She is having a hard time getting a decent doctor to treat her correctly, and has been unable to get any relief yet.

So on top of getting this new news today, they were also told that Humana has at some point denied claims for all these outpatient treatments Dad has been having for 4 weeks, after they originally approved them. Also, the surgeon who will be operating on Dad's hip is supposedly not covered by Humana, but his partner is. Is it just me, or does it seem like someone at Humana just wants to piss my parents off and be the biggest you know whats ever?? Its like, as soon as the doctor says "this is treatment you need, and its the best available" then Humana says oh yeah, um we won't cover that. Just because we don't want to. Or don't feel like it. Or just have a God complex. But you know what, you suckers at Humana, you had better find Jesus right fast, because lots of people are praying that God will break you and your evil hearts, and let me tell you from experience, God has no mercy. My sinful fingers are trying to type very bad words about you, but my heart is trying to forgive and forget about you.

But here is what really broke my heart today:

So this family that used to attend OHBC with us have been awesome prayer warriors for Dad throughout his whole illness. I swear, as soon as Mom posts an update to Facebook, the grandmother, and usually the mom, ALWAYS post comments of prayer or praise. Well today their son/grandson was diagnosed with lymphoblastic leukemia. He's in the 5th grade. I haven't seen any of these people in person in years, and literally never met their son, but my heart is broken tonight and I have been in tears. This sweet, innocent boy is about to go through essentially all the motions that I have watched my dad go through, only without the experience of age on his side. I am so glad he obviously has such an amazing, God centered family to bring him through this. I mean, his dad used to play Jesus at our church! :) (so did my dad, by the way!) Please pray for Collin and his family, and all his doctors. He also has a sister in high school, and I can't imagine what she is feeling right now.


Ok, ok, I know this is Carter's blog, but I needed to vent. All I want is a semi-normal life, and illness free relatives. Please people, count your blessings if you have these things, because I wouldn't wish my troubles and worries on anyone. (Well maybe Humana. No, nope gotta be better than that!) Keep my Dad and Grandma in your prayers, and don't forget about Collin too! I promise to be less of a Negative Nancy next time!

1 comment:

  1. Continually praying for your family, Audrah! May God give you all the strength you need to get through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete